Mouth diseases can not only cause discomfort to people but also may lead to stress, embarrassment, and even a low self-esteem. The best way to prevent this condition from getting worse is by visiting your family dentist. He will conduct a full examination of the mouth to find out the reason for the occurrence of the disease and will prescribe the best method for effective treatment. If the problem is beyond his abilities, he may suggest you the right specialist to go to.
What is Oral Medicine all about?
This is a specialty in dentistry that is about diagnosing a certain condition in the mouth and non-surgical treatment. People, who suffer from temporomandibular joint disorders or chronic facial pain, can turn to such a specialist, who may prescribe a special therapy if the medical conditions are complex or if the patient has been treated for cancer. People can find such specialists in private offices, university clinics or hospitals.
Usually, Canadian dentists make the exam using X-rays to ensure that nothing is missed. Together with the visual test, they check the mucosa and teeth tangibility. If a patient suffers from a neck or head pain and no lesions or other injuries are found in the month, the dentist may advise him to go to a doctor in oral medicine.
What to do in case of a persistent facial pain?
Turn to your dentist in case you have any of the following symptoms:
- You have a burning syndrome in your mouth
- You have an idiopathic facial pain that is persistent and doesn’t have dental origin
- Neuropathic pain or herpetic neuralgia that rarely occurs
- Primary or secondary trigeminal neuralgia
- Orofacial pain that may be accompanied by psychological or psychiatric problems, along with personality disorders
These patients receive diagnosis along with pain management on multiple levels. This can be achieved with the help of specialists in liaison psychiatry, oral surgery, neurology, clinical psychology, and alternative medicine.
When is the oral surgery needed?
Patients that need urgent surgical extraction of wisdom teeth or other teeth are given a priority. A priority is given also to people with cysts and other complex problems, such as jaw pathology. So in case, you suffer from any of the listed below conditions, you need to visit an oral surgeon as soon as possible.
- Any kind of pathology of the mouth, face, neck or jaws
- Facial trauma
- Temporomandibular joint issues
- Inferior or lingual alveolar injuries
- Oral defects that are treated by a restorative division
- Compromised health that requires teeth extractions
What is special care dentistry?
People who have some kind of disability or significant impairment can take advantage of the so-called special care dentistry that may include sensory, physical, social, medical, and even emotional care. Patients, who are over 18 years old and belong to one or a few of the following groups, will be accepted for special care dentistry:
- People, who due to their disability, cannot be taken care of by regular dentists
- If people need anesthesia that can facilitate dental treatment
- People who are anxious when it comes to dentistry and may need some sort of hypnosis, sedation or behavioral management
- Hematology patients that require emergency service or screening.
Based on your specific needs, now you can turn to the right mouth disease specialist in Canada.